Friday, December 5, 2014

A Dog's Tale

I have a story to tell.  It is about love, loss and God’s providence.  It all begins on Jan. 17, 2006. . .

Lucy was born.  A beautiful blue Weimaraner, she was the runt of the litter.  Fearsome and strong, she made herself known to all who could hear.  She was born to love.  She loved to have fun; she loved people; she loved attention.  We took her home around 5 or 6 weeks and she cried all the way.  She cried all night long and she cried any moment she was not in our arms.  She had a will stronger than any.  We battled her night and day, trying our best to raise her right.  She had more energy than she knew what to do with, so we ran her hard and long.  In her second year she was my training partner for a marathon.  I needed it just as much as she.
But something wasn't quite right.  She was anxious and hyperactive.  Not only would she bark incessantly, but she would panic when I left.  She was so excited she’d forget her manners and accidentally hurt people.  She was discontent.  Had we gone wrong?  Had we failed?  The decision was reached that we could do no more, and she needed to go somewhere she was challenged, somewhere she could be a dog, somewhere she could shine.
The last two weeks were difficult.   I was sad about having to say good-bye.  We had changed her rules and put even more boundaries on her.  Things were peaceful, but could she keep it up?  Was there any possible way she could stay and everyone could be happy?  As I had done continuously through the 2 ½ years of her life, I prayed.  I prayed she could stay.  I prayed she could change.  I prayed we could change.  But most importantly I prayed His will be done.  I was all out of ideas.  One thing was clear: God was telling me I needed to be willing to give Lucy up.  I was reminded of Abraham and Isaac.  I thought my sacrifice was hard?  Through our neighbor Don, I got in contact with a woman in Louisiana.  She was the owner of Lucy’s brother Cooper.  Her name was Cristi and she confirmed everything I said about Lucy.  Her Cooper was the same.  She was an experienced dog owner, she had 4 Weimaraners.  She lived on a farm so she exercised them and took them to agility classes, but Cooper still was a lot of work.  Through our conversations I found peace.  We really had provided a good home for Lucy.  I also realized her good was just as intense as her bad.  She was an incredible dog.
I took pictures of her and we just had fun.  I treasured any happy moment I could with her around.  We swam, we fished, and we walked.  I watched her bounce in the tall grass; I watched her dash up the hill to get a drink of water in the pond and come barreling down.  Boy did I love her.
Then one night after dinner was cleaned up and the children were settled down for stories, I took her out for an evening walk.  She had been in all day so I kept her off the leash.  We got to the bridge and I decided she was doing well and could stay off the leash.  We continued toward the road.  None of the neighbors were out so she stayed close.  Then she saw the dog across the road and started running.  She had never paid any mind to the people across the street before.  I called and realized there was a car coming around the bend.  I called and called.  She paused in the ditch, we thought she’d stop.  The neighbor was calling her dog, unknowingly named Lucy also.  She dashed into the road and the car never saw her.  It just kept going.
I screamed.  The neighbors didn't want to get close for fear she would bite, but the thought never crossed her mind.  She dragged herself to Tracy’s feet and laid on them.  Lori took me home, Don came over to be with the children, and Casey and I hopped in the truck.  We were in a daze.  John and Tracy arranged everything; we just did what we were told.  Lori, a stranger to us, hopped in the back to help me with Lucy.  I cradled Lucy’s head.  She was struggling to get her breath.  She lifted her head straight up and looked long and hard in my eyes.  I knew what needed to be done and we nuzzled our noses.  She knew she was loved and I knew she love me.  I just enjoyed the moment and loved her like I never loved her before.
They took an X-ray and offered emergency surgery.  I longed to be with her and finally they lead us back.  The sight of her broke my heart and I asked them to please put her out of her misery.  It was done.  She stopped laboring and was peaceful.
As I pondered the irony of the whole situation I realized it was not irony.  By God’s divine purpose He beautifully orchestrated the sequence of events that had unfolded.   I reveled in His care and love for His sheep.  I marveled at His wisdom and insight.  He allowed this to happen, but not before preparing us. 
Thank you, Lord, for love, loss and Your providence.

In memory of Lucy.  1/17/06-8/4/08

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please login to your account before writing your comment. If you do not wish to use an account, you can simply enter your name by scrolling down to "Name/URL"


Thanks!