Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Walk on Water


**This is the second post in the series, Holly's Healing. To start from the beginning, click here.  

Oddly enough, we were relieved Holly could be released from the hospital. Trauma is like a thick veil of emotion, you can’t see your foot right in front of you. You are like a child, not able to fully process your circumstance or see your next step. It was somewhere around three in the morning when there was controversy about whether Holly could be released. Finally around four a.m. we were lead to our room. Holly was to be admitted for observation.

Longing for it all to be over, we were disappointed. But as I watched the next forty-eight hours unfold, I believe it was God’s protection and assurance which allowed us to remain under the skilled care of medical professionals. In these circumstances, plastic surgeons must wait for the swelling to decrease before repairing the damage. Many of Holly’s facial bones had been crushed. A combination of swelling with sharp bone fragments introduced the risk of piercing the brain fluid, which could lead to a dangerous infection.

Holly slept the entire day after the accident. As humans, we get so consumed by what we see on the outside, I wasn’t able to fully understand what was happening on the inside. I was unable to discern that she slept because she had a traumatic brain injury. During my down time at the hospital I called a friend and prayer partner and sobbed. All I could say was, “Holly will be fine,” until I could compose myself to tell her what happened. After the conversation and prayer, I returned to Holly’s room. As I sat quietly in the darkened room, a rush of supernatural peace washed over me. Something was happening. I checked my Facebook page and my friend had posted an urgent prayer request that was rapidly being shared all over the nation! I can only imagine how many people were praying. Later I found out whole church groups had been praying! Ministering angels had come to relieve my distress.

The second night Casey stayed at the hospital and I went to his parents’ house where our boys were staying.  I spent a few moments with each as I put them to bed. Our oldest, DJ, said he had read my texts from the day. I was grieved because I had sent information to his grandparents about Holly’s status. I was afraid it would have scared him.

“Mom,” he said as he looked at me intently, “Holly could have died.”

“This is true,” I responded.

I watched his face and I could see this news did not scare him or even make him sad.  What I saw in my son’s face was thanksgiving and peace. He knew Holly could have died, but He knew God saved her and that she was going to be okay. He went to bed encouraged. I wanted to go to bed encouraged! I saw DJ’s faith and it inspired me. That night while sleep eluded me, I cried out to God. I could see the disciples in the boat while the storm raged. I could see the panic as they woke Jesus from his sleep and wanted him to calm the storm.

“My child,” God said to me, “you humans want me to calm the storm, but I want you to walk on water.” I could see Peter getting out of the boat and making his first steps toward Jesus.


“Father,” I bowed my head in submission, “I want to walk on water. Please show me how.”


**To continue reading, click here.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please login to your account before writing your comment. If you do not wish to use an account, you can simply enter your name by scrolling down to "Name/URL"


Thanks!