Sunday, September 20, 2015

Faith-Filled Confession

Read:  Matthew Chapter 10

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.” (vs 32)
Consider:  The confessions we see in the book of Matthew are confessions of what only God himself could have revealed.  There was no earthly authority confirming that Jesus was the Son of God.  This is how Jesus so readily recognized faith in people.  True confession can only be made by the revelation of the Spirit of God, it does not come from a knowledge or tradition passed down by man.  The opposite of faith is fear.  Fear can be found in the heart of every natural man, fear is taught and learned by the spirit of this world.  Jesus is revealing that faith replaces fear and enables us to obey God freely.

Father, speak to me in the quietness of my heart.  Reveal Your truth, build my faith. You have given me a charge to spread Your Good News, to confess Your Word before men.  Fill me with Your Spirit which gives me the power and authority to carry out this task.  While troubles will come in this earth, may I experience Your peace as my reward.  


*Bonus thought- If acted on, the fear of people (what they might think, how they might react, if they might be offended, that they might gossip about us) causes us to bow down and obey man rather than God.  A healthy fear of God causes us to fear separation with God, thereby encouraging us to have faith and obey what He is putting in our hearts.


*This post is part of a month long devotional series on Matthew.  To start from the intro click here.  To go to the next post click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please login to your account before writing your comment. If you do not wish to use an account, you can simply enter your name by scrolling down to "Name/URL"


Thanks!