Saturday, September 12, 2015

Upside Down

Read:  Matthew Chapter 18

“Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” (vs 4)

It is natural for us to think the person on the stage who is reaching the most people is greatest in the Kingdom.  But Jesus is urging us to see a different picture.  He’s saying that in God’s eyes the person greatest is the one who is lowly, who humbly believes and forgives as a child.  Our natural tendency is to look at a child and think he doesn’t understand, but it is that very innocence Jesus is telling us to value.  A child’s faith is uncomplicated, love is unconditional, and forgiveness is given freely.  Learn from the children in your life.

Lord, forgive me for the ways I have allowed the spirit of this world to taint my faith.  Reveal these impurities, give me the strength to cut these lies from my life.  Lead me back into innocence, that I may follow you without resistance or hesitation.  May I trust You and follow You like a young child trusts and follows a parent.


*This post is part of a month long devotional series on Matthew.  To start from the intro click here.  To go to the next post click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please login to your account before writing your comment. If you do not wish to use an account, you can simply enter your name by scrolling down to "Name/URL"


Thanks!