Thursday, December 3, 2015

Day 20- The Twin

Read:  John Chapter 20

“Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” (vs 27 NIV)

Thomas was named, “The Twin.”  Nicknames often carry significant spiritual weight in the Bible.  Perhaps because of his doubt there was a doubleness about Thomas.  By contrast, when Jesus saw Nathaniel in John 1, He saw a true believer who was without duplicity (doubleness).  I believe this double quality has it’s root in doubt.  Doubt can manifest through fear, an inability to make decisions, wavering, being tossed around by the world’s ideas, and the like. Doubt which replaces belief hardens the heart and can reveal itself in deceitfulness like hypocrisy and double-talk.  Let us allow God to fill us with such love and faith that our suspicions melt away.  Let our skepticism fall away to true belief.  Let’s not pick apart what we will and will not believe concerning God, but allow the Holy Spirit guide us into all understanding.  

Father, I believe, please help my unbelief.  I don’t want to go down the road of double-mindedness.  I don’t want to be tossed by waves of doubt.  I don’t want to be tortured by indecision and fear.  Please replace my doubt with faith that does not waver with the details of my circumstances.  Focus my mind on You, bring clarity to my life and decisions.  I desire to glorify You in all things.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please login to your account before writing your comment. If you do not wish to use an account, you can simply enter your name by scrolling down to "Name/URL"


Thanks!