Saturday, December 19, 2015

John 4- Spirit and Truth

Read: John Chapter 4

“God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (vs 24)

Jesus is revealing the essence of the gospel to the woman at the well.  Essentially what He is saying is, “You guys are so focused on what you see in reality (on earth), but there will be a time, and really it is already here, when you will worship me in spirit and reality.  What I mean by this is that you won’t just go to a place to worship me, but you will worship me from the inside out!”  She talks about physical water, Jesus points to spiritual water.  She speaks of a physical location to worship, he talks about an internal form of worship.  The woman’s response is key.  She reveals that she doesn’t understand (in fact I’m pretty sure she had no clue!) but that she trusts the Messiah to explain all things.

Oh that I would have the faith of this Samaritan woman!  Father, I don’t understand these things, but I trust You to bring me into an intimate knowledge of spirit and truth.  Teach me to truly, genuinely worship You from the inside out!


** Bonus Thought!  John felt the intimate touch of Jesus.  He spoke of himself as “the disciple whom Jesus loved.”  He understood what it meant to worship God “in spirit.”  He had an intimate spiritual connection with Jesus which allowed him to feel God’s love and sense His affirmation in reality, even after Jesus died.  We too can have this depth of relationship in Christ!  In fact, that is just a natural part of being a son or daughter of God.  The Holy Spirit gives us assurance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please login to your account before writing your comment. If you do not wish to use an account, you can simply enter your name by scrolling down to "Name/URL"


Thanks!